Tuesday 9 October 2007

My first Bushcraft Adventure!

First of all, apologies for the delay with this report, the internet connection stalled for the last couple of days - welcome to Cornwall!


The weather was perfect as I set off, sunny with a nice cool breeze. I left the village of Pont, following Pont Pill upstream through woodlands. These seemed to have some potential, and being on my doorstep I could test kit out here and while I don't have my car, easy to get to if I don't feel like a long hike.


The walk along the river was pleasant and peaceful. I took my time, adjusted my pack till it was perfect and enjoyed the atmosphere. I passed a plantation of young Blue Colorado Spruces, no doubt being grown for Christmas. The path led up to a lane, which I crossed onto the footpath running past Trevecca Farm. In the fields, I stopped to watch a buzzard circling. Once I had passed the farm, I was out into Lanteglos Highway, and my first real decision of the day. Do I hike down the lane directly to Lower Penpoll, or take a massive diversion along a footpath, cross the fields and then a short walk down the other lane into the village. I didn't want to do too much road walking so I walked across the fields to Trevelyan. I passed through Lower and Middle Penpoll and took the track up towards Tencreek. Halfway along, I turned left on the footpath towards St Veep - another massive diversion which saved me an extended walk through the lanes. St Veep up close was not as picturesque as it seems from a distance, so I hurried though, taking the footpath towards Pennant. I passed through, crossed the road and hiked on across some intensively farmed (and not looking healthy for it) fields. I was pretty disgusted at the state of some of the fields I crossed, no farmer should allow his soil to get into that condition. I have seen soil on charity films in Africa looking more fertile that this chemical wasteland. Rant Over.


My mood improved somewhat when I reached a field with a few cows and a free range pig, almost as large as the cows she shared the field with! I now arrived at my longest section of road hike, down the hill to Manely Woods, my home for the night. The path through the woods skirts along the River Lerryn from where it joins the River Fowey. Passing along, I was watched several parties of canoes and the occasional kayak pass. I have to admit I felt quite jealous! I reached Manely Pill and found it a fast flowing clean looking water supply, just in time to refill my bottle. I scouted through the woods and found a natural depression within earshot of the Pill. It was absolutely perfect size and shape so I decided to set up camp here.



As you may notice, not the greatest setup, I don't know how I didn't realise the right end of the hammock was protruding from under the tarp - lesson 1 learnt, fortunately not the hard way as the weather that night was perfect.

After setting up my home I got the kelly kettle out and got a brew going while I collected wood for the main fire - I had barely got the thing going before it had boiled!



Its easy to see why it gets called a volcano kettle!

After my tea, I collected wood for a fire, spent a good three quarters of an hour getting the thing started - lesson 2, fire should not be taken for granted! When the fire was lit, I was pretty hungry and so got dinner on. Lesson 3 - don't forget the pan handle!



After a good feed, I relaxed for the night. Turning in, I found the hammock surprisingly comfortable, but colder than I anticipated, especially underneath. Lesson 4, learnt! I did sleep well, although I did have to adjust my hammock in the middle of the night due to the rope stretch leaving me lowered onto my bag. Apparently this should not happen after the first time, so I didn't mind at all.

Come the morning, I was pleased to see that my fire was glowing enough to relight easily - I cooked my breakfast; bacon, sausages and beans on toast. This went down very well! After the good nights sleep, I was up for the hike home so I extinguished the fire, scattered the ashes by hand - I packed the partially burnt wood to put on the stove at home. Once I had covered the site back up with leaves, You could hardly tell anyone had set foot there, let alone spend the night with an open fire.



I retraced my steps on the hike back home to St Veep, then instead of following the track to Middle Penpoll, I went straight on along the footpath to avoid a long steep uphill hike along the road out of Lower Penpoll. I followed the footpath to the road, which I followed to Willsland. Along the road I saw a Comma Butterfly! At Willsland I followed a track up the hill to Trevelyan, then continued to retrace my route home.

All in all, a great weekend!